Thursday 29 March 2012

Coating process of Melamine


The process of coating the melamine polish is as below
a] Sanding: As in French polish, in this polish too, the surface is sanded first with rough polish paper [50 or 60 No.] and then with smooth polish paper [80 or 100 No.]. 

b] Sealer coat: Melamine sealers are available in the market. This sealer coat is to be sprayed/brushed first. With the application of sealer, the absorption of melamine in the timber is reduced and the surface-adherence is increased. Sealer coat takes about 12 hours to dry.

c] Sanding with water paper: On drying the sealer coat, the surface is sanded with smooth water paper [150 or 200 No.]. Unlike normal brown sand paper, water paper is black in colour and is, in fact, a cloth with emery particles stuck on this. This paper is dipped in water and is used while adequate water is present during the emery action. This sanding removes the excess sealer layers and also, makes the surface further smooth.

d] Filling with melamine fillers: Special filler pastes of various stains are available in the market and only these fillers should be used for melamine polishing. By selecting proper filler, it should be filled in the small or large holes. After the filler dries, about 4 to 6 hours, light sanding with water paper is done. After this, the surface is allowed to air for about 12 hours.

e] 1st coat of melamine: Melamine polish is normally sprayed by a spray gun. Melamine polish comes in a two pack system. The large tin contains the melamine and the small bottle contains the hardener. A proper amount of hardener should be added to the melamine before spraying. Compressed air is supplied to the spray gun by a compressor. Spraying the polish is a skilled job and should be done by a trained worker. The worker should use a mask since toxic fumes are generated while spraying. In fact even after spraying, the toxic fumes generate in the first hour and unless the area is later well ventilated, the smell lingers even for a month.  

f] Re-sanding with water paper: After the first coat is dried, that is after about 24 hours, the surface is sanded thoroughly with smooth water paper. It is then allowed to air for about 12 hours.

g] Final coat of melamine polish: The final coat is then given by spraying melamine as in the first coat.

            There could be some variations in the process explained above. Some polish-men give a coat of French polish instead of giving a sealer coat. But the recommended procedure is explained above. The variations should be avoided as far as possible.

26 comments:

  1. Dear Sir

    I found your blog very very useful. I came across it while searching for Melamine Polish process/techniques.

    I must thank you for sharing your most useful ways.
    Just one Q :
    Can it be done by untrained person - following all the directions w/o using a compressor ( A suitable brush maybe)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can not be successfully done in the first attempt. It is something like learning driving or swimming. Even if someone explains you the process of swimming or driving, one is not likely to be successful in the first attempt. Yes, with repeated attempts one can master the technique.

      Delete
  2. That is true indeed.But I am thinking of learning the art myself as I have loads of wood work that is begging for a new touch of polish.The hard fact here to note is I am unable to find a crafted polisher nearby.

    And yes I am going to try /experiment first on a piece of veneer with a brush not spray m/c.

    Will surely update here about my learning and experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sir, is melamine polish a must for veneer finished furniture?
    My carpenter is charging extra for melamine polish. Is that a part of veneer finish?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sir

    I found your blog very very useful

    I must thank you for sharing your most useful ways

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is Melamine varnish called in the USA?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melamine polish is barred in US and many other developed countries since it emits toxic gases not only while spraying, but also for about an year or two later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is the optimum pressure(psi) required for spraying Melamine ? I used 50psi but results were not so good

    ReplyDelete
  8. To be frank, I am not in a position to answer this now since I have to check this on site and I am away from workplace for 3 more months. I am in US now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there a certain way to remove melamine spays and stains on the floor? both vetrified and ceramic tiles... As they have become rough and cleaning them has become a hassle for me....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melamine stains can be removed from ceramic or vitrified floor by using strong soap powders (like Vim in India) and rub the moist powder of this soap with a cotton cloth. You can also use sharp edges like that of screw driver or blunt chiesel or filler blade and peel it out gently.

    ReplyDelete
  11. very informative... thanks for sharing mr. Vasudeo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Veneer polish has got stuck to glass on window. Not coming out by wetting with water and scraping with blade. What to do?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Apply "NC Thinner" and then rub the surface with cloth. Use filler-blade if needed. Alternatively, apply "Paint remover", wait for 10 minutes and then clean the surface with cloth and/or filler blade.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is such an informative and interesting blog. Sad that after 2013 there are no new posts...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing this interesting and informative article, painting your stuff with airless spray gun will be faster and more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. very nice blog about concrete hardener. thanks for the post
    Thanks for sharing the great information. It is well written!! 12*12 plastic moulds | tiles color Germany

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow ! Amazing look , all pics are beautiful , it's a great information publish about plastic moulds

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice and informative.... Wish to read more on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very informative n useful blog to learn art of polishing ..... Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. best protection for all kinds of wooden surfaces.
    German based polished .
    low cost & Long lasting protection.
    Comes in ready - made shade and ready to use.
    lasts for 5 Years and above .Both Interior and Exterior Work,
    So-Easy to use that one can do it - yourself.
    Contact for Wood Polish Material :- 9650543232

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is very informative share. Actually I have made kingly sofa and I am in need of a good polish maker. I searched but I did not get. So, I searched for how to make melamine polish and luckily I got this informative share. Sir, thanks. I am confident that I can do it by following given process.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sir, nice information as I myself is going to make my new wooden sofa by using yours steps. First I have sanded with 60 number polish paper but forgot to sand with 100 number polish paper. Now shall I sand with 100 number polish paper or use 200 number water paper only instead of regular one

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sir, nice information as I myself is going to make my new wooden sofa by using yours steps. First I have sanded with 60 number polish paper but forgot to sand with 100 number polish paper. Now shall I sand with 100 number polish paper or use 200 number water paper only instead of regular one

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello! Someone in my Facebook group shared this website with us, so I came to give it a look. I’m enjoying the information. Wonderful blog and amazing design and style. iI know one website as you Sohman Epoxy .I really love the design of your website. Please check Sohman Epoxy .also similar to your blog. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's one of the best blogs I've come across.
    we are the best Home Painting companies
    that provide you Wood Polishing,
    Texture Painting,
    Interior Painting & much more.

    ReplyDelete